April Spotlight, Joy Garnett: Deep Dish
Platform Gallery online, Seattle
“Deep Dish” is an exploration of landscape and urbanscape using the medium of digital collage. Pulling from an array of sources, including licks from my paintings, sections cropped from my street photography, and screen grabs of global conflicts found online, I play with many layers to create enigmatic works that are at once complex and immediate.
Garnett’s paintings dwell on scenes that cannot be observed with the naked eye: overlooked edges of unknown landscapes in moments that resemble twilight, the interval between night and day that is paradoxically both and neither. Her source material, found images drawn from surveillance footage and night vision photographs, reveals our contemporary condition of watching and being watched. Her painted landscapes invite a contemplative gaze as they conjure an atmosphere of a world half-asleep but waking and on the cusp of something new.
- Joy Garnett: Being There, Platform Gallery, Seattle, WA, October 23-December 13, 2014
Erin Langner, New American Paintings: Being There Again and Again: Joy Garnett at Platform Gallery
- Boom & Bust, Winkleman Gallery, NY. October 15 – November 13, 2010
Installation shots: Photography by Etienne Frossard
Carly Zinderman (JustLuxe): Joy Garnett’s Momentary Explosions are Blowing Up the Art World PDF
Carolina Miranda (WNYC): Joy Garnett: Boom & Bust, at Winkleman Gallery PDF
Sharon L. Butler (Huffington Post): Blast Radius PDF
Joanne Mattera Art Blog: Big Bang PDF
Doug McClemont (Saatchi Online Magazine): Top Ten Shows in New York: November 2010 PDF
- Joy Garnett: China Three Gorges Project, Roger Williams University School of Architecture, Art and Historic Preservation, Bristol, RI, March 3 – 31, 2010
- Joy Garnett: New Paintings. Winkleman Gallery, NY, February 15 – March 15, 2008.
- Strange Weather, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, May 5 – July 30, 2007
Exhibition catalogue: Lucy Lippard; Andrew Revkin
- RIOT, Debs & Co., NYC, January 2004.
- ROCKET SCIENCE, Debs & Co., NYC, April 2001
- BUSTER-JANGLE, Debs & Co., NYC, May 1999
The New Yorker: Joy Garnett: “Buster Jangle” PDF
Ken Johnson (The New York Times): Joy Garnett at Debs & Co. PDF
Christopher Phillips (Art in America): Joy Garnett at Debs & Co. PDF
Tim Griffin (TimeOut NY): Joy Garnett, “Buster-Jangle” PDF